HomeStart offers salary plus a generous benefits package, dynamic staff, flexibility, and a supportive work environment. HomeStart is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. Persons of color and the formerly homeless encouraged to apply.
Housing First Advocate
The Housing First Case Manager will provide housing search and follow-up case management services to individuals who are homeless and living on the streets or in an emergency shelter. Participants have been living on the streets for many years and suffer from mental illness, long histories of substance abuse, major medical conditions, and have limited experience with independent living. Most of the people that we work with on the Housing First team are actively using drugs and/or alcohol and do not follow their medical and mental health treatment plans. The Housing First team takes a harm-reduction approach to helping folks find ways to successfully live in housing and not let their disabilities result in recurrent homelessness.
- Assist some homeless individuals with all aspects of housing search and placement into permanent housing: work with clients to devise an appropriate housing search strategy; complete housing applications and prepare necessary documentation; negotiate with landlords, housing authorities, and realtors.
- Conduct outreach to potential landlords.
- Support placed individuals in becoming independent and successful in their housing by providing follow-up case management services.
- Assist clients in accessing any income or health benefits and other resources for which they are in need or for which they are eligible.
- Provide crisis intervention around mental health, substance abuse, medical and housing-related crises.
- Help participants with activities of daily living including household cleaning, hygiene awareness, diplomacy in dealing with landlords/other tenants, healthy meal planning, etc.
- Work closely with Boston Healthcare for the Homeless to help clients successfully maintain their health and housing.
- Assist participants’ transition from homeless-based to community-based resources.
- Utilizing a harm reduction model, support participants in maintaining focus on their substance abuse recovery and mental health stability.
- Travel throughout Greater Boston conducting home visits and accompanying clients to their provider meetings.
- Assist with budgeting skills and other activities of daily living.
- Case management experience.
- Mental health and substance abuse knowledge and/or experience.
- Positive attitude; energetic; dedicated to ending homelessness.
- Able to work occasional evening hours as needed.
- Good with numbers; good budgeting skills.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Interested in enhancing and learning new professional skills.
- Sense of humor.
- Accountability, good time management, and organizational ability.
Prevention Services Case Manager – Cambridge
Dynamic, innovative non-profit agency needs an experienced advocate for its homelessness prevention program. This position will be based at the Cambridge Multi-Service Center.
HomeStart is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer.
- Conduct client assessment and intake to determine eligibility.
- Carry a caseload of clients seeking either homelessness prevention to preserve their existing tenancy or rapid re-housing to secure a new tenancy.
- Assist eligible clients with accessing rental assistance, work collaboratively with Cambridge Multi-Service Center and Cambridge Department of Human Services staff members.
- Help clients retain housing by developing an Individualized Service Plan (ISP). Adjust the ISP as needed and reauthorize financial assistance as warranted.
- Link clients with outside resources for ongoing stabilization support including education, employment and benefits. Work to lessen or eliminate barriers to obtaining or maintaining housing as needed, such as credit, criminal history, housing history, domestic violence/trauma, disabilities, and substance abuse problems.
- Assign tasks to clients, as appropriate, with the aim of strengthening self-sufficiency. Monitor progress and provide needed support.
- Work with client to develop a termination plan as assistance ends. If necessary, assist client in identifying and accessing new housing.
- Communicate with property managers, attorneys, medical providers, and others to facilitate housing retention.
- Coordinate rental assistance strategies and applications, using both in-house and outside resources, as appropriate.
- Assist clients with budget development and money management development.
- As needed, accompany clients to meet with housing providers to resolve problems. Be responsive to landlord issues and concerns.
- Two years of experience providing case management and/or housing stabilization services to homeless/at risk households and with a working knowledge of landlord/tenant responsibilities.
- Strong problem-solving skills, patience, and perseverance.
- Ability to work with other service providers effectively.
- A strong ability to keep work organized.
- A demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Dedication to helping vulnerable people gain self-confidence and set goals that lead to stabilizing their housing situations and their lives.
- Strong written, verbal, and math skills necessary.
- Experience with computerized databases, preferably HMIS.
Housing Search Advocate
Dynamic, innovative non-profit agency seeks experienced candidates for Housing Search Advocate positions open in our agency. These full time positions will assist homeless individuals living in emergency shelters throughout Boston with securing affordable permanent housing.
HomeStart offers: Salary plus generous benefits package, a dynamic staff, flexibility, and a supportive work environment. HomeStart is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. Persons of color and formerly homeless persons encouraged to apply.
- Assist homeless individuals with all aspects of housing search and placement into permanent housing: work with clients to devise an appropriate housing search strategy; complete housing applications and prepare necessary documentation; negotiate with landlords, housing authorities, and realtors.
- Perform housing assessments; problem-solving; and providing information and referrals.
- Coordinate housing search activity with related work of shelter case managers.
- Conduct housing search workshops.
- Maintain client housing files and furnish reports on client services provided.
- Some early morning or evening hours may be expected as part of a 40 hour work week.
- Minimum one to three years housing search or related experience (case management, property management, community organizing/advocacy).
- Strong advocacy and outreach skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Good math skills.
- Dedication to helping people who are homeless move beyond shelter.
- Ability to facilitate groups and conduct presentations.
- Knowledge of subsidized and private housing resources and regulations preferred.
- Experience with homeless adults and/or recovery population preferred.
- Experience with mental health a plus.
- Bilingual skills preferred.
- Computer skills required (MS Windows, Word, Excel, internet).
Fundraising Event Volunteer
HomeStart throws several fundraising events throughout the year. If you are interested in volunteering or participating in one of our annual events, contact Michelle Chandler at 617.542.0338 x230 or via e-mail at Chandler@HomeStart.org.